Dryvit EIFS Cleaning
All product and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Our use of them does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them.
From time to time EIFS finishes may need to be cleaned to remove dirt, mildew, tar or algae that can make even the most architecturally sound building look like crap. A good cleaning will bring back the curb appeal that EIFS is famous for and is fundamental when preparing for re-coating or resurfacing.
In my twenty-five years of working with EIFS as an applicator, business owner, and homeowner I’ve found that the best way to clean EIFS is easy as pie and anyone can do it. That said, if you are worried about damaging your wall or want a professional EIFS cleaning, don’t hesitate to fill out the contact form on any of the pages on this site and will get back to you with a free estimate.
Tools Required & Materials Required:
• Soft-medium bristle brush
• Garden hose
• Trisodium phosphate detergent
• Household bleach
• Clean, warm water
• Clean empty buckets
1. Depending on the size of the area to be cleaned and how dirty the surface is the tools used for cleaning will vary, for example:
a.) hand cleaning with a soft-medium bristle brush for small areas less than 100sq’.
b.) a garden hose for areas larger than 100sq’, and
c.) a low psi pressure washer for areas larger than 500sq’
2. EIFS Cleaning Solution:
a.) 1-2 cups trisodium phosphate (TSP) detergent
b.) 1 gallon of warm water
Add 1/2 to 1 quart of bleach to remove algae (green stains) or mildew (black stains). The bleach kills micro-organisms that create the algae or mildew on
3. Apply the cleaning solution to the wall surface by brush or spray and let it soak for 15-20 minutes. Lightly scrub the area with a soft medium bristle scrub brush. (If you need to use a pressure washer make sure the pressure is set at 200-500 psi, and keep the nozzle several feet from the wall.)
4. After the EIFS cleaning solution has soaked the surface, rinse thoroughly with clean water, allow to dry and presto. A clean wall.